Thursday 23 August 2012

Local is Lovely: Proteas

I love this place so much that I am dedicating a weekly feature to it!

Every week I will pay tribute to one of my favorite things about South Africa, starting with proteas.



I must admit I have a minor obsession with these blooms. I love how they are so resilient in harsh climates, yet still look beautiful. I love that they have common names like "sugarbush" (suikerbos in Afrikaans) and that the Victorians gave them the symbolic meaning of courage.

And I love how they are inspiring creativity among local crafters and artists:

King protea cushion covers by Jezze Prints



Homeware by Tamarillo Ceramics


Wooden wall hanging by Bamboom


Origami proteas by the Shaw Sisters



Fabric design by Handmade by Me


No comments:

Post a Comment